Followers

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Vocabulary list #3

Coherent: (Of an argument, theory, or policy) logical and consistant.
Sentence: She had a coherent with her parents about her grades.

Belabor: Argue or elaborate (a subject) in excessive detail.
Sentence: My sisters are always belaboring.

Eschew: Deliberately avoid using; abstain from.
Sentence: I try to tell my little sister to eschew from makeup because she does not need it.

Acquisitive: Excessively interested in acquiring money or material things.
Sentence: I'm very acquisitive so I work.

Emulate: Match or surpass (a person or achievement) typically by imitation.
Sentence: I emulate my older sister because of all the things she has accomplished.

Banal: So lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring.
Sentence: I find some of my classes to be banal.

Excoriation: Hash criticism.
Sentence: People at school are very excoriation towards each other.

Congeal: Solidify or coagulate, especially by cooling.
Sentence: When jello is made it is congealed.

Carping: Difficult to please;critical.
Sentence: My parents are carping.

Substantiate: Provide evidence to support or prove the truth of.
Sentence: Lawyers are always substantiate when they work on cases.

Temporize: Avoid making a decision or committing to oneself in order to gain time.
Sentence: My little brother tried to temporize so he could go to bed later.

Largesse: Generosity in bestowing money or gifts upon others.
Sentence: On my sisters birthday I was largesse.

Tenable: Able to be maintained or defended against attack or objection.
Sentence: Her argument was not tenable.

Insatiable: (Of an appetite or desire) impossible to satisfy.
Sentence: I'm always insatiable for food.

Reconnaissance: Military observation of a region to locate an enemy a ascertain strategic features.

Germane: Relevant to a subject under consideration.
Sentence: The theme was germane.

Ramify: From branches or offshoots; spread or branch out.
Sentence: Plants ramify their branches.

Intransigent: Unwilling or refusing to change one's views or to agree about something.
Sentence: My sister is very intransigent.

Taciturn: (Of a person) reserved or uncommunicative in speech; saying little.
Sentence: When I get shy I turn taciturn.

No comments:

Post a Comment